Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Grandpa

In January, I lost my grandpa. It has definitely been the biggest loss in my entire life. He was the core of our family. He was very special to me. From taking care of me as a newborn to helping my buy my first vehicle, he's always been there. He could build anything his kids and grandkids could imagine. It was so sad seeing him go from a very strong man to not being able to do things for himself in a few short months. His battle with cancer started in 1998 and he fought hard and strong to conquer it. In August, my family was told there were no more treatments available and hospice had to be called in. By October they were visiting every day and he wasn't predicted to make it past Thanksgiving. It was the first holiday we didn't get to spend together as one big family gathered around the dinner table, because he wasn't well enough to get up. Shortly after, we were told he wouldn't make it to his birthday a few days before Christmas. He was still hanging on and keeping us close by. Shortly after Christmas, we all knew it was a matter of time and we stayed with him day and night. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life, but I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. He passed surrounded by his family and best friend at home. The funeral was more about celebrating his life and memories than thinking about the cancer and how it finally took him away. Grandpa will never be forgotten. I love him so much and am thankful I got so long with him to create memories and to live life with such an amazing and strong man to call grandpa.

About half the family got together one weekend in November 2008 and rented a lake house to spend a few days together. Knowing grandpa was sick, we all wanted to make it special.

1 comment:

  1. To us he was the greatest friend a person could have. He was not only a brother in law he was a brother to Dick. To me he was my hero. He could always make you laugh or want to just kick his butt when he was picking on you. He picked on you because he loved you. Ron is thought of everyday in Texas with respect, love and greatly missed. See his face in the sunshine. We love you Ron, save a place for us at that breakfast table.

    ReplyDelete