Friday, April 9, 2010

52 New Things: Week 14 ( or 1, 2, and 3)

After hearing about 52 New Things - an idea to try something new each week of the year and blog about it - I was excited. I've been reading the blog posts since it got started and finally decided to join in. I realize it's now Week 14 and I have some catching up to do, but I'm totally game for it. So here we go!

New Thing #1: Alice Springs/Smothered Chicken

A couple weeks ago my boyfriend and his sister were cooking Alice Springs chicken. I'd never heard of it, so I drilled him for details. Apparently, it is a dish served at Outback, but I haven't eaten there. After he told me how to make it, I decided to give it a whirl with my family.

You'll need:
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Fresh mushrooms, sliced
Fresh garlic (I used the minced, jar kind from the produce section)
Honey Dijon dressing (I used Kraft)
Avocado, sliced (optional)
Bacon
Shredded cheese (I used co-jack)
Olive oil for cooking

Pound out the chicken breasts until they are 1/2" thick, using the side of a meat hammer or something else heavy and flat. Saute the chicken breasts in a little olive oil and some garlic, until they are fully cooked. Also, saute the mushrooms in olive oil and garlic until they are a deep brown and cooked down quite a bit. Cook the bacon as well. I put it out on my broiler pan and broiled it on high until crispy, rotating it halfway through. By doing this, most of the grease drains into the bottom of the broiler pan. Once the meats and mushrooms are cooked, you're ready to assemble. Lay the chicken out on a baking tray, spread some dressing on top, top with bacon and avocado, then mushroom, and sprinkle cheese on top. Pop in a 350F oven for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Most of my family doesn't like honey Dijon dressing, so I omitted it and those that liked it added it after. I think next time I make it, I'm going to add some onions when I saute the mushrooms for even better flavor. It's really a personal preference for what toppings to have, but cheese is a must!



New Thing #2: My Latest Obsessions
I've recently become addicted to polka dots. I haven't gone totally crazy, but I've joined those with my recent obsession of nail polish. I've never been someone to wear makeup, but my love of nail polish goes in streaks. A couple years ago my grandma got each of her granddaughters a set of Migi nail art pens. I barely ever used them, because I didn't think I could make the fancy designs they show on the box and its pamphlet. A little light bulb went off in my head and made me think to use them for polka dots. So far I've tried the pastel set on white, navy, and black. I think this particular set looks best on dark colors because of the contrast. The pictures below are on N.Y.C. Skin Tight Denim with the Migi pastel set.





New Thing #3: JOB!!!
Without going into all the dramatic and depressing details of the reasoning for my unemployment, I would like to share that I have a source of income to at least help out. I became a Miche bag home representative. I sell totally awesome purses that let you switch the outside as often as you want, so you don't have to empty your purse out and move the stuff to another purse. It's something which doesn't take very much time and I can do on my own schedule, which is perfect considering I'm finishing up school and this last trimester is an overload again. I'm SO happy to have money to help out and a job I can take with me anywhere I go.

This yellow shell really brightens up these dull rainy days I've had lately.


And I swear I'm not a name dropper!!

I can't wait to get caught up with 52 New Things and continue reading everyone's posts.

Cheers,
Rocka

No comments:

Post a Comment